Rex Lawson began his career in Port Harcourt as a bandboy for Lord Eddyson’s Starlight Melody Orchestra.
He played with Sammy Obot, Bobby Benson, Victor Olaiya, Chris Ajilo, and other Ghanaian and Nigerian musicians and bands.
3. A highly emotional and deep musician, Lawson was known to weep and shed tears while singing his own songs on stage, notably the haunting “So ala teme”
4. Rex Lawson always placed music over money.
5. His greatest success came as the leader of the Majors Band (also called the Rivers Men in later years)
6. His music is loved to this day in Nigeria. His songs are regularly performed and danced at live band shows in Nigeria.
7. His single “Sawale” was remixed by Flavour N’abania to make the popular hit song, “Nwa Baby (Ashawo)”
8.Lawson died in 1971 in a car accident on his way to play a show in Warri, Nigeria. He was 36 years old.
His Legacy lives on…
2,756 total views, 2 views today